The BMSCH Patient & Family Advisory Council (PFAC) was organized in September 2009 and currently meets once a month. Members of the committee include parents whose children have received services at the BMSCH, nursing and other hospital staff, and physician representatives.
The mission of the PFAC is to collaborate with BMSCH leadership and staff to enable patients and their families to provide input on organizational policies and practices. The Advisory Council supports the organization’s mission and promotes Patient- and Family-Centered Care by putting the child and family at the center of all activities by working to:
- Cultivate respectful, welcoming partnerships between patients, families, leadership and all staff.
- Encourage collaboration between families and providers of patient care
- Strengthen communication between families and providers of care
- Channel information and concerns from patients and families to organizational leadership
- Offer effective solutions to patient-family concerns
- Provide education and training that fosters an increased understanding of Patient- and Family-Centered Care values throughout the organization and community.
- Provide input for clinical programs to meet patient and family needs.
- Provide recommendations on operational issues that affect patients and families.
Some of the ways and projects the PFAC has been instrumental in developing:
- Dining Room meal voucher program for caregivers
- Inclusion of Parent Advisors on hospital committees
- Revisions to the RWJUH Visitation Policy
- Hospital-wide education on the core principles of family-centered care
- Input for new BMSCH Patient Guide
- Pediatric Pain Brochure
- Parent resource guide for NICU parents
- Design of infection prevention brochure for patients/families
- “What is a Teaching Hospital?” fact sheet to for patients/families
- Educational lectures for physicians and other hospital staff.
- Transition Toolkit for pediatric patients moving to adult care
- Unit-based peer support programs