Pediatric Emergency Department
Emergencies happen every day and no one understands that better than the Pediatric Emergency Department (ED) at The Bristol-Myers Squibb Children’s Hospital (BMSCH). We are equipped to treat a wide range of pediatric medical problems for patients from infancy through age 20.
New Jersey’s First Pediatric Trauma Center
As the first American College of Surgeons (ACS) designated Pediatric Trauma Center in New Jersey, RWJUH and BMSCH is the state’s resource for the care of injured children in our region, from acute pediatric trauma care to injury prevention and trauma education. RWJUH has made certain that every injured child in New Jersey has a dedicated facility to ensure that their medical care is continually available, compassionate, family-centered, up-to-date and spans the entire trauma spectrum, from EMS responders in the field through pediatric trauma resuscitation, critical care, and recovery, including pediatric rehabilitation at Children’s Specialized Hospital.
- Programs including pediatric transport, child life and family support, pediatric social work, child protective services, pediatric injury prevention, and community outreach and education of health professionals.
- Quality care that expands the entire pediatric trauma spectrum from EMS responders, through pediatric trauma resuscitation, critical care, and recovery.
- Nurses with advanced training in pediatric trauma care.
- Prevention of childhood injuries through our Injury Prevention Program.
- A state resource for the care of injured children in our region.
Advanced Emergency Care Exclusively for Children
Our ED is a unique standalone pediatric emergency department – completely separate from our adult emergency room. It is specially designed to meet the needs of children and their families.
- Warm, friendly, child-centered atmosphere
- Board-certified pediatric doctors
- 24/7 attending physician coverage
- Exclusive pediatric triage nurse 24-hours-a-day
- Specially trained pediatric ED nurses and technicians
- Child life specialists who ease children’s fears and make them feel at ease
- Moderate sedation service
- Level 1 trauma center and the state’s first American College of Surgeons pediatric trauma center
Breadth of Services
For the most seriously injured children who arrive at the ED, we provide the sophisticated services of a Level I trauma center, which include our pediatric surgeons from all specialties who are available at a moment’s notice to perform surgery on critically ill patients.
The Pediatric Emergency Department also provides care for less serious, non-life threatening injuries through its Express Care Program.
In addition, we offer a moderate sedation service that sets us apart from other emergency departments. With moderate sedation, we are able to perform painful procedures, such as fracture reduction or wound repairs, right in the ED without hospitalization. Children can come in with a bad fracture or injury, have it repaired and go right home; often no visit to the operating room is necessary!
Equipped to handle any injury, at any time of day, the staff of the BMSCH pediatric ED are ready to care for your child.
For more information on the pediatric ED at BMSCH, please call (732) 418-8173.