Here are a couple of helpful hints and recommended reading for children and parents before pediatric surgery.
Helpful Hints Before Surgery
- Read books about going to the hospital (see book list below).
- Bring your child’s favorite item of comfort on the day of surgery: toy, stuffed animal, blanket or favorite video.
- Offer honest and simple explanations about your child’s surgical experience.
- Try to remain calm. Children can easily sense anxiety and will follow your cue.
Preschool children: (Ages 2 – 4 years)
- The Surgery Book for Kids by Shivani Bhatia MD
- Going to the Hospital by Mister Rogers
School aged Children: (Ages 4 – 8 years)
- Good-Bye Tonsils! by Craig Hatkoff
- Clifford Visits the Hospital by Norman Bridwell
- Clifford visita el hospital by Norman Bridwell
- Going to the Hospital (Usborne First Experiences) by Michelle Bates
- Curious George Goes to the Hospital by H.A. Rey
- Getting Your Child Ready for Outpatient Surgery By Jerry C. Vaughan
- Your Child in the Hospital: A Practical Guide for Parents by Nancy Keene
- Franklin Goes to the Hospital by Paulette Bourgeois
School aged Children: (Ages 9 – 12 years)
- Let’s Talk About When You Have to Have Your Tonsils Out by Gordon, Melanie Apel