The Child Life Program is available to assist patients and families in making the hospital experience a positive one, by helping with the overall adjustment to hospitalization, illness or injury and treatment.
Our team of child life specialists is specially trained to help children and their families understand and manage challenging life events and stressful healthcare experiences.
Specialists provide developmental, educational and therapeutic interventions that support growth and development, recognize family strengths and individuality, and respect different methods of coping.
What the Child Life Program Provides
- Age appropriate preparation for surgery, medical procedures, tests and treatments
- Hands-on learning experiences to teach children and siblings about all aspects of hospitalization
- Therapeutic art and recreational sessions in the activity centers and at the bedside
- Activities to help “normalize” the hospital stay, including play, special events, holiday celebrations and parties
- Emotional support to help patients and family members minimize the stress that often surrounds hospitalization
- Guided imagery, relaxation and distraction sessions
- Community outreach programs for preschool through high school students